Roller skating can be anything from a sport to a hobby to a great way to get in shape. This article will guide you through how to roller skate so you can achieve your goal whether it be having fun or losing weight.
Roller skating has a lot of pros and cons that should be considered carefully before you ever strap on a pair of skates.
- It gives you about the same workout as jogging.
- It’s an aerobic exercise that gives you a complete body workout.
- It releases endorphins which can improve your overall mood.
- Regular skating can help you lose 9kg.
- Roller skating was ranked 14th out of the 15 most dangerous sports.
- The rate of injury among skaters was estimated to be 3.4 injuries for every 1000 people.
Pick Your Skates
- The first thing you’ll have to do is assemble the right equipment. There are 2 main types of roller skates: inline and quads skates.
Inline Skates: Often called rollerblades, have 4 or 5 wheels in a row.
Quad Skates: These skates have a wheel in each corner attached to a boot.
- Padded shorts.
- Knee pads.
- Wrist Guards.
- A helmet.
- Maintain your skates properly so they do not malfunction while you’re skating.
- Be sure that your skates fit to prevent an injury to your ankle.
- Find a flat, smooth place to skate.
- Place your feet in a V shape.
- Start skating by pushing one leg away from the V. Follow that foot with your other foot.
- Loosen up.
- Find the foot that you favor most and lead off with that one.
- Stopping on a quad skate is pretty simple because it has a toe stop, which is the ball shaped part on the front of the skate.
- Tilt your skate until you’re pushing down on the toe stop.
- Press it slowly against the ground.
- Lean in the direction you would like to move and let your feet follow you.
Roller-skating is a fun and beneficial exercise. Remember to take the correct safety precautions and don’t forget to enjoy it!