- 1 Cup dry Cannellini beans- Soaked overnight ( or use 2 cans, drained cannelloni beans)
- 1 Cup dry Sorghum – Soaked overnight ( optional, leave out, or sub quinoa during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Cup diced onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1½ Cups diced fennel bulb
- 1 Cup diced carrot
- 1½ Cups sliced celery
- 1 Cup diced tomato
- 6 Cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 1-2 Cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak dry beans and sorghum in separate containers of water overnight. .
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Add onion and saute for two minutes, stirring often. Turn heat to medium and add garlic, fennel, carrots, celery, and saute for 7-8 minutes. Add tomato, stock, herbs,drained beans and drained sorghum. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to medium low, and simmer until beans are tender about 1¼-1½hours.
- Add kale. Simmer until wilted and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve in Bowls, drizzle with a little olive oil ( optional)or add crunch croutons.
- Notes: If using canned beans, simply add the drained, canned beans to the simmering stock until heated, about 10 minutes.To thicken, you could simple let this reduce a bit, or add quinoa. Making it this way will shorten the cooking time to 30 minutes.